19/03/2015

Singer 221K Featherweight

One of my favorite vintage models is Singer Featherweight. They are very popular among quilters and seamstresses. Because of their compact size they´re easy to bring along to sewing classes etc. And I mean it is in fact possible to bring them along, not like other models advertised as "portable" but even lifting them on the table feels like a hard labor. Gerda is one of those machines...

I was lucky enough to come across this beauty and didn´t hesitate to bring her home with me. Here she is:
Singer 221K Featherweight "Fiona"

Back view of the machine.

Fiona was made in Great Britain in 1955 and had only one owner before me. Previous owner took a good care of her. 
I cleaned her thoroughly and oiled and lubricated all parts as the manual suggests. Her rubber feet were strangely melted, so I had to scratch them away and for the moment I have replaced them with some felt protectors. I bought new rubber feet which I will install on her later at some point. 

Fiona has her original motor. And still runs strong! I think I will have to buy a new belt though, the original one seems to be a little worn out place to place.

MADE IN GREAT BRITAIN <3 
This really means a lot to me.

Lovely trademark in gold...

Detail of the face-plate and the upper needle tension dial. 

Featherweight has vertical bobbin case and uses special Featherweight type bobbins. Unfortunately Fiona had only one bobbin with her. I will have to put in an order for more bobbins...

Fiona has her original case. Good thing I don´t have to order that one!

These attachments came with the machine: the hemming foot, the binder, the edge-stitcher, the ruffler, the adjustable hemmer and the gathering foot. 

And an automatic zig-zag attachment with a manual in swedish. Which I will have to crack at some point...
Machine itself had her original manual in finnish.

Booklet is in very good condition, although tiny for my taste. I´m really tempted to print the english version in size A4 as I have printed for other vintage machines. We´ll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment