16/03/2015

50´s Shawl Collar Coat

The weather is getting warmer and my winter coat starts to feel hot. I need a "transition coat" , warm enough to protect against the cold wind but thinner than a regular winter coat. This pattern is from last year´s November issue of Burda magazine, High Society Collection, nice! ;)


There wasn´t enough of fabric for whole coat in the store and I definitely wanted just this one so I´m improvising with the collar and facing. I got a grey-dusty pink boucle fabric which I will line with matching lace fabric.

Cutting the pattern. Since I don´t have a large cutting table (yet), I´m rolling the fabric as I´ve pinned the pieces and then I start cutting from the open end. This way I can be sure everything fits in.


The pieces are cut out. Now the boring part, transferring the pattern...


All the pieces sandwiched together. And look who thinks it is a new nest for her, Geisha cannot resist fabrics...

"This pile is mine!"


The fabric wasn´t feeding equally so I decided to try my new walking foot, aka Even-Feed Foot. It is a low shank attachment so it fits Henrietta well. And it really works, I´m surprised! The thing is, it is a bit slow for my taste. I like to sew quite fast, especially straight boring seams. Of course it might be the thick fabric´s fault it was slow. ;) I will have to try this attachment with some cotton fabric and see how it works there.  Since this isn´t a plaid, where would be lines to match, I switched back to regular presser foot.

Front view at the walking foot.


A large working space indeed! Henrietta is going strong. :)


I really like the oversized shawl collar on this coat. The right side is lined with lace fabric.


Coat awaiting the sleeves and lining. Oh, and the buttonholes!


Henrietta´s automatic buttonhole presser foot was too small for the buttons I bought. So I´ve made the buttonholes with Patsy´s regular buttonhole presser foot.

 And some knitting for a change...


Blocking the shawl wrong side up.


I have finally finished Victorian Rectangle With Center Diamond Pattern! :) This shawl is from the book Victorian Lace Today by Jane Sowerby. Although I´ve had this book for years, this is the first project I´ve made from it. The center diamond pattern was really easy to work and the shawl was knitted quite fast. But the border pattern took a while to memorize. I don´t mean attaching the border as you go, nearly the stitch pattern. Anyway, I´m very pleased with the outcome, the yarn is gorgeous as well and I shall be making more shawls from this lovely book!


A detail of the knit-on border. This is a clever technique which gives unlimited possibilities for edgings.

No comments:

Post a Comment