28/02/2015

The Oversized Fashionista Bag

I have started a new project- The Oversized Fashionista Bag. The pattern is from the book The Bag Making Bible by Lisa Lam. I have made one bag from this book earlier, the Great Getaway Bag and I love it! The patterns are easy to follow though making the bags is time demanding. This project has been waiting for it`s turn for about a year and a half. So, finally here we go!


Here are the materials I will be using. Purple-grey boucle fabric for exterior, purple african cotton for lining, some interfacings, flexi tube, zip and some metal gear.


A detail of the boucle fabric. This is a lovely virgin wool blend fabric but it´s VERY thick.


A detail of the african cotton fabric. This is quite thick, sturdy fabric with some glitter on it. It doesn´t really drape so it´s quite perfect for making bags.


As I mentioned before I intend to sew this bag with Gerda . I started with shoulder strap, piped handle and some loops. As you can see on the picture, the problem is that the fabric (well, many layers of it) is too thick and at some point doesn`t really fit under Gerda`s presser foot. 


So I couldn´t finish the handles and loops with the machine. And I don´t think any of my other machines will do the job either. I will have to use rivets to hold the handles and loops together. Unfortunately I don´t have that thick rivets right now. I hope I´ll be able to get some next week. I´ll get the largest rivets in the shop!


Mr. Basil owns his straps of course and swipes me away from them. :)


Tailor´s awl, a great tool for making holes through multiple layers of fabric. 


The bag exterior is finished. I only need to attach strap loops with rivets.


Flush zip pocket in lining. Inserting the zip was the only thing I sewed with Henrietta because I don´t have the high shank adapter yet. Rest of the bag is sewn with Gerda and well she sews! :)

I have to put this project on hold until I get proper rivets...

No comments:

Post a Comment