20/02/2015

Ruffled Mini Skirt With Layered Side Panels

Out of a hunger to make clothes I started a new project, a miniskirt with side panels. The pattern has been published in last months Burda magazine. I like the Winter Wonder Collection from this magazine and I have already sewn a coat from this collection. I´m using the fabric remnants from the coat for this project.

Here`s the fabric I´m using. A white knit with shiny silver houndstooth print. The print isn`t showing much. And as you can see it`s quite see-through fabric so a petticoat will be needed.



I´m finishing the seam allowances with the overlocker so they will last as well as look good as they will be visible through the skirt. Another thing, the pattern says that hem is to be left unfinished. I don´t like that, it will unravel (it`s a knit) and look untidy. I could have sewn a narrow zig-zag stitch on the edge but it would still look untidy. So I finished the hem with overlocker too. I will leave the hem non-turned so the finishing will be visible.


Basil is helping me to press the seams open. :)


Attaching the side layers together.


And here`s another helper who snack up to the overlocker while I was sewing and started to play with  the threads. No harm done, Jia is careful. :)


A closer look at invisible zip and waistband finishing.


Front of a finished skirt.


Layered side panels give a nice flare to the skirt.

This has been a nice quick project. I am pleased with the outcome, it´s a nice casual skirt and it feels comfy so I think I will wear it a lot. We`ll see. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment